Planning Financially for Your New Arrival
Online Workshop / Webinar
Welcoming a new family member is one of the biggest life changes one can experience and it certainly adds new dynamics to your household expenses – even before your child arrives! Whether you’re adopting or giving birth, there are going to be financial considerations you need to start thinking about to prepare.
Where to start when it comes to planning financially for your new family addition can feel overwhelming when you consider everything that needs to be taken care of. In this 1 hour workshop/webinar, participants will learn the ABC’s of Planning Financially for Your New Arrival. We’ll help you take the guesswork out of the finances part of the parenting equation.
Financial planning and preparedness for your growing family begins at pregnancy and continues through to birth and beyond. Being a new parent can bring many surprises, but planning ahead for your finances is a great practice that will help reduce some of the stress and worry. In this session participants will get information to support their understanding around:
- Income expectations during parental leave
- EI and parental benefits – do you qualify?
- Employer obligations during your pregnancy and maternity/paternity leave
- Canada Child Benefit
- Budgeting for when your baby arrives…and after
- Setting SMART financial goals to help save for big ticket items and plan for future and emergencies
- Common expenses and money you don’t need to spend right away
- Choices that affect your finances – such as diapers: cloth or disposable?
- Childcare options and costs
All participants will leave this session with a better understanding of the financial changes that will occur with a new addition to the family as well as tips and tricks to navigate this new stage of life! A link to additional resources and a copy of the presentation is available by request.